Monday, July 14, 2014

To be Married and given in Marriage

Many of you know that my wife's favorite movie was "The Notebook". I'm willing to bet that she had probably watched the movie over one hundred times during the span of her short life. Not only did she like the movie: she read the book, learned how to play selections from the score on the piano, and had the movie poster.

She loved the movie so much, that I made her a deal. Because she watched so many of my goofy horror movies and far-out documentaries, I would watch "The Notebook" with her once a year. She could choose to watch it on her birthday or our anniversary. 

I didn't watch the movie on her birthday this year, and I must admit that I will not be watching it this Wednesday for our anniversary.

I don't like the movie. Listen, I know it's sweet that he goes and reads to her everyday because her memory is gone. But, let's face it, they weren't a very good couple to begin with. They fought all the time!

Tiffany always hoped that she would find her "Noah", I hope that I was a better fit for her than a "Noah" character would have been.

So, yeah, this Wednesday would have been our third wedding anniversary. 

I'm writing the blog now because I'll be in Tennessee on Wednesday. I'm going on vacation with my cousin and her kids. I'll be in good hands, my cousin is also a widow, so she knows what this particular brand of crazy looks like.

This is going to be another one of those painful firsts, it's been weighing on me for the last couple of days already. 

This is the worst. The woooooooooooorst. (Jean-Ralphio Voice)

In marriage, the two become one. This week, as I remember the day that we made our vows, I feel the absence of my better half more than ever.

I also remember that at the end of those vows, we said "til death do us part" or "as long as we both shall live". It's a hard pill to swallow, but I have come to understand that death ends a marriage.

(I know, we could talk for hours about the theological implications of marriage.)

Marriage is something we do here. Marriage is pleasing to God. Marriage helps us get through this life.

But, Jesus says that in the age to come, we will not marry or be given in marriage. 

I believe that I will see Tiffany again and our love will be complete because we will both be fully united with Christ. But, I don't know that we will be Husband and Wife in Heaven. It has taken awhile to adjust to this idea, but I've learned to accept it. Because, I believe that I have no way of knowing what the age to come will look like. But, I know that it will be better than anything I can assume about it.

However, the hard truth remains, I wasn't done having her as my wife on this side of eternity. 

I still need her. I feel so incomplete without her. Some days I wonder how I make it without her by my side.

I try not to spend too much time giving myself a pity party and living in the past, but on these painful firsts I give myself a pass. You've got to.

My wife was an amazing woman, and I'll never forget how beautiful she was on our wedding day. (or, everyday for that matter)



She made me a better man.

I remember her every time I got to the communion table, because I know that the Body of Christ still connects us. When I eat the bread and drink the wine, I know that she joins me because she now rests in Christ. In the sacraments, I remember how thin the veil between this world and the next can be.

We had communion during our wedding ceremony; it connected us to the saints then, and it connects me to Tiffany now.

Please say an extra prayer for me this Wednesday, July 16th, I'm sure I will need it. And please, take a moment to remember our wedding or any other special memory of my wife. And, most importantly, remember that the Body of Christ still connects us to Tiffany, and all of our loved ones who have gone on.

Grace, Mercy, and Peace to you,
Robert

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Rob, I am so sorry that you are alone for your anniversary. I am so sorry you live every day with the loss of the person you loved most in this world, your darling wife who was as beautiful inside as outside. I confess to being very human in asking, "Why Tiffany and Rob? Why so young?"

    Although I only spent a short weekend with both of you, it was very evident that you loved and enjoyed each other so much. As Tiffany and I stood together during Kevin and Jaimie's rehearsal and watched you guide everyone through their parts, with your great sense of humor always in evidence, she lit up with watching you and sharing that moment with you, as you had already shared so many others. I am sorry, God, but this mere mortal can not help but ask, "Why, dear Lord? Why does this caring and loving couple lose all the years and memories they could have made?" There are so many contentious and ill-suited couples, but you both were alight with the love you shared, and it made us happy to be around you.

    Thank you for being brave enough to share your heartbreaking journey, Rob. Your love for Tiffany continues to be an inspiration for all of us. I don't post any more about it, but each time I visit the Grotto at Notre Dame, which I did yesterday, I light a candle for you and Tiffany and pray that you feel her love from the other side of that veil.

    I pray for you today, I'll pray for you on your anniversary, and I thank heaven that you are moving forward in a way that you know would make Tiffany proud, sharing your hurt and your prayers, showing those around you what it means to walk with God in your sadness..."Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."

    God bless you, Rob, and bring you solace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings, peace, and prayers from Ohio. So blessed to have been able to be there for you two on your wedding day. She did look beautiful and it was an amazing day to say the least. Glad you're in good hands this week and know that we think of you, and pray for you daily. In our hearts especially today. Much Love brother.

    ReplyDelete